Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thesis defense (I passed!!)


I defended my Ph.D. thesis last week, and it was quite a stressful ordeal. The oral portion of the examination, a PowerPoint presentation of my research, is open to the public and there were about 50-60 people there. In addition to my thesis committee members, most of them were professors, grad students and others from my department, as well as my lab mates and some of my other friends from the U-M. I was really happy that many of my family were able to attend as well: Brad, Caitlin, Jacki, Jillian and Austin, my Dad and Rita, and Mom Eileen and Ralph. I am glad to report that it went even better than I had hoped!
Brad had the family and a couple of my friends over for lunch afterwards and my mentor Kate had a lab party that evening at her home. It was a very exciting and happy day!
I spent the rest of the week finishing minor revisions to my written dissertation. I had my "post-defense" meeting on Monday and handed in my revised dissertation and the rest of my paperwork; in return I received a Ph.D. completion certificate. I guess this is some kind of a "receipt" to prove you have completed your doctoral work until the diploma is conferred in December. Anyway, it was exciting to me.
Jacki went to the bindery with me Wednesday to order bound copies of my dissertation, so I will have an actual book to show for all my hard work.
All I need to do now is show up for commencement in my "pancake" cap and gown, which I have already ordered.
Wow, no wonder I feel like I have post-traumatic stress disorder. Hopefully my life will be calming down a little now.









3 comments:

Jacki said...

So proud of you, mom! You were awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

How cool is that!! Really proud of you, Theresa. You did it!! Now, hopefully, you can reap the benefits of all your hard work.

BananaBuzzbomb said...

Woot! Woot!