Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Who's smarter-who cares?

I read an interesting article in the New York Times today. It discusses how men prefer to be smarter than the women they are with, and whether smart women should pretend to be dumber to allow the men they are interested in their illusions. I know the title mentions Hillary Clinton specifically, but it is not really about her so it doesn't matter how you feel about her or her political views.
I know that I feel self-conscious telling people (and not just men) what I do unless they are also in science, as it usually cuts a conversation pretty short. Even when I went for jury duty, the lawyer questioning me seemed incredulous that I was really a "science person". Why is that so intimidating? My mentor Kate says that it is because I am so "normal-looking and acting" as if scientists are a different breed or something! People do act differently towards me than when I worked at the Pizza House or at the fabric shop, even though I am still they same person-more educated but not smarter. I still think the same random things are funny, enjoy the same things I always did even if I have less time to do them and probably have all the same bad habits.
I am interested to see what other people think about this. Is what this article says true-or not so much? What about other relationships-does it matter who's smarter? There are many kinds of intelligence, so how can you tell?

2 comments:

Brad said...

Everbody is ignorant, only on different subjects - Will Rogers

Therese said...

Definitely! We all have our own area of expertise that does not cross over to making one an expert in other areas.